Monday, May 28, 2007

How do you make a long weekend better?



By taking an extra day off, of course!

I took off today, just in case the weekend needed 24 more hours to steep and reach perfection. I am spending today (wrote this last night) in my backyard, just soaking in it. I love our backyard. Mike has planted it beautifully and it is our private park. It has sun and shade, and there is no single spot where you can stand or sit and see everything in it. You must move around, explore it, be curious. Collette said, "Regardez." Look - observe - explore - notice - wonder. I love to sit and read a book out there, then move to another location and read some more.

Last night for dinner I made cold beet soup, AKA Pink Perfection. Totally new to me, made from scratch (well, canned beets is not really cheating). This has to be the most bizarre food I've ever seen - bright pink chilled soup with chunks of vegetables - but eating it is heaven. It's like a salad with too much of a delicious dressing and a baked potato on the side. I took a picture of my lunch today, served al fresco on the deck. Technical lesson of the day: never delete all the pictures on your memory card until you're absolutely sure they're successfully transferred to your hard drive. Needless to say, Mike has no interest in this soup and was happy to eat his suggested entree: cereal.

A good book, and the company of a good friend from the taxononic family Canis, completes my day of leisure. My friend has completely exhausted himself with hours of play with his adored big red ball. See above for relevant technical lesson.

No comments: