Thursday, May 31, 2007

Yarn for lunch!







Sadly, a wonderful local yarn store is closing. Sigh. So I drove the 25 minutes out there on a long lunch hour today for the closing sale. I've been yarn dieting for over a year now, with only some sock yarn in the meantime (my 10-year old handknit socks are finally showing some wear - THANK GOODNESS). And well, there was that one other exception that I blame Wendy Johnson for. But we'll share that when the yarn arrives. I take my lunch to work everyday and save my lunch money......today, my ship came in! It was like getting yarn for free! Actually, I bought a number of deeply discounted patterns because I never buy patterns and these are cool ones that have ideas or design solutions. And oh yeah - three felted bag patterns. (Wendy - see the Noni bag? Imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery.) A gardener needs a felted bag with roses on it, don't you agree? And there is a set of Pony Pearls dps in US 0, Lantern Moon rosewoods in US 2 (one of my most-used sizes), and some bamboo US 2s as well.




















This is my stole (long rectangle shape of knitted lace). It's Knitpicks Alpaca laceweight in the light blue color, knit on a bamboo circular US 5. So soft, with that fuzzy halo of alpaca. The pattern is blissfully easy - it's actually my TV knitting. From Victorian Lace Today (VLT), it's Scarf with the striped border from Weldon's, Volume 5, 1890. Yes, it's an actual lace pattern from 1890! I doubled the width from the VLT pattern, because I love stoles but hate scarves. It has not been blocked out yet, so it will be about 1/3 wider, and totally stretched out to the nth degree. The pattern will become much clearer. Just wait and you'll see!


Gardening projects are everywhere: Here's Mike with the supervising gardener in the melon patch.


No comments: