Thursday, July 12, 2007

Yawnnnnn

As I was still recovering on Monday, we skipped obedience class but did keep our appointment for a 3-mos checkup on Rowdy with the rehab vet. Dr Maria was very pleased, and made some recommendations to help relieve some tension she found in his shoulder muscles - probably an old injury. He got a chiropractic adjustment - only his second since he was pre-op - and some serious massage. So now Rowdy gets MORE massage therapy - you know he's lovin' that!

I seem to have escaped the bad cold that took Mike down briefly. But today I'm a little short on sleep thanks to Rowdy. Rowdy does not always remember his priorities when it comes to certain doggy chores. We have a number of pre-emptive strategies to re-direct Mr Distractable back to the A section of the To Do list. Last night during our 9:30 pm outing, he was simply too busy with the bazillion distractions in an empty, dark backyard to remember his A-level priorities. But at 3:30 am this morning, he decided these matters were urgent and notified me accordingly. I gotta tell you, after I get up and get my wits about me sufficient to dare to step out onto the staircase, there's not a lot of point left in returning to bed at 4 am only to get up at 5:30 am.

So I got some knitting done. Those blue socks? Oh they're finished now and awaiting the photography. I started another pair - and re-started it three times using both toe-up and cuff-down construction until I found a pattern and design that spoke to me. They're now underway and looking pretty good.

I sent in an entry for a dog show in the Greenville cluster later this month - sent it in yesterday, via the internet, less than 30 min before closing of entries. What a shock - we're not in the "A" class anymore, and there's an AKC Rally title after my dog's name! Holy cow. We're not in the Rally nursery anymore. I guess it really IS time to start training for the higher levels, and quit fooling around with it. Whad'dya know? I guess my teachers actually know what they're talking about and we're actually going to be competing in some shows this year in both Rally and Obedience.

This month, we're only entered on Sunday in Novice (we already have the Novice title but can continue to show in the "B" class until we want to move up and try the Open level). On Friday I'm a spectator (and a shopper); on Saturday I'm a volunteer (and a shopper with Mike); and on Sunday we're exhibiting with help from Mike. It is hugely helpful when Mike comes along as our Coach. And equipment manager. And I guess I need to do more than browse the show calendars for the fall and winter.

Did you see "Guns, Germs and Steel" last night on PBS? Mike has read the book and convinced me that I would love it. From watching the first part of the show series, I'd say so.

No comments: